Wilmslow Town Council has announced plans to light a Beacon for The Queen's Platinum Jubilee on the evening of Thursday, June 2nd.
The Beacon is one of thousands being lit in the UK and the Commonwealth, and forms part of the official programme announced by Buckingham Palace for the Jubilee Weekend.
The Beacon will be lit on the tower of St Bartholomew's Church, and it will be one of over 2,022 lit by charities, communities and faith groups all over the UK.
In addition, beacons will be lit in all 54 Commonwealth capitals and the Principal Beacon lighting will take place in a special ceremony at Buckingham Palace on Thursday evening. This will take the form of a lighting installation with The Queen's Green Canopy 'Tree of Trees' sculpture and projections onto the front of Buckingham Palace.
Bruno Peek LVO OBE OPR, Pageantmaster of The Queen's Jubilee Platinum Beacons said; "Building on a long tradition of lighting beacons to mark significant royal celebrations, thousands of beacons will be lit across the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth They will enable local communities to join together to pay tribute to Her Majesty as part of the official programme of events.
"For the first time, town criers, pipers and buglers from the UK and the Commonwealth will come together to join in the celebrations in their own individual
and special way. It is wonderful to see the range of support for beacon lighting, which will highlight both the diversity and unity of the nation and the Commonwealth.
"The Queen has lit up our lives for 70 years through her dedicated service and commitment. We would like to light up the nation and the Commonwealth in her honour."
Frank McCarthy, Chair of Wilmslow Town Council said; "We are proud to be part of this momentous celebration. It is only appropriate that this unique milestone in history is marked with beacons and music. We are honoured to be part of this special event for Her Majesty, The Queen's 70th year as our Monarch and Head of the Commonwealth on her Platinum Jubilee."
Timeline for Thursday 2nd June:
- 2pm at the Alderley Road / Water Lane junction - Wilmslow's Town Crier will announce a specially-written Proclamation heralding the lighting of the beacons later that day.
- 9.15pm - The community can gather at the Memorial Gardens near St Bartholomew's Church. Refreshments will be available to purchase.
- 9.35pm - a local piper will play Diu Regnare - a unique tune specially written for the occasion by Piper Major, Stuart Liddell, the world's leading piper.
- 9.40pm – our local buglers will officially announce the lighting of the beacons with a specially written bugle call, entitled Majesty.
- 9.45pm – Wilmslow's Beacon will be lit to coincide with a lighting of the beacons across all nations.
- 10.30pm – the ceremony will conclude.