Hockey: Wilmslow win tightly fought victory against Newcastle

newcuniv 2

Wilmslow Hockey Club Men's first team followed up their opening day win against Urmston with a tightly fought victory against Newcastle University at Oakwood Farm.

Wilmslow started brightly and went ahead early on when Pete Hallinan cleverly lifted the ball into the corner after a flowing move down the left hand side led by man of the match Simon Swatland.

Newcastle grew into the game and had a great chance to equalise but missed a penalty stroke which went well wide of the goal. Wilmslow also couldn't convert a penalty stroke after the Newcastle goalkeeper took out Hallinan when clean through.

Wilmslow were punished for this when Newcastle equalised on the counter. Joe Booth put Wilmslow back in the lead with the last action of a disjointed first half from a penalty corner from which he slipped the ball in at the near post.

Wilmslow started the second half sharper than their opponents and twice extended their lead when David Boddy popped up at the back post twice in quick succession to score a quick fire double and keep Newcastle on the back foot.

Newcastle scored two in reply after sloppy Wilmslow defending but the men in orange held on for a second successive victory to maintain true good start to the season.

Wilmslow 2nd had a creditable 3-3 draw away to Triton 1sts. Recently promoted 3rds lost a close encounter with Warrington 1sts by a single goal and the mens 4th lost to a skilful Alderley 6th side

Ladies 1st had an excellent 2-2 draw with Lindum 1st, away at Lincoln. They have now picked up 4 points from their first two games in the North Division.

Ladies 2nd lost a very close game with Lymm 2nds 2-3. The 3rds had a good game against Sale 2nd and ended up 4-3 winners. The 4ths, with their mixture of youth and experience, go marching on since their promotion with a 2-1 win against Northop Hall 2nds. The youthful 5ths went down 0-3 away to Triton 3rd.

Match report by Steve Kinsella.

Hockey, Wilmslow Hockey Club