Firefighters were called to reports of a suspected gas leak on Wilmslow Road in Handforth at around 9.40pm on Tuesday, 13th August.
One fire engine attended from Wilmslow and on arrival at the scene the crew were informed by a local resident that they had heard a loud bang and seen flames coming from the roadway, which they had extinguished.
A safety cordon was put in place as a precautionary measure, the crew then used a gas detector to locate the source of the leak.
After locating the source, the crew used a hose reel jet to disperse the gas and prevent it from igniting.
The site was then passed to Candent Gas.
Firefighters were in attendance for approximately 90 minutes.