Local campaign group Residents of Wilmslow (RoW) has confirmed its line-up of politically independent candidates for the forthcoming local elections on May 2nd.
All the council seats for Cheshire East and Wilmslow Town Council are up for re-election and RoW is putting forward 8 candidates to compete for 5 Cheshire East and 15 Wilmslow Town Council seats across the town, which is an increase from their current 3 councillors.
Phil Enstone, Chairman of RoW said "The surge in our number of candidates reflects the fast growing support and interest we continue to gather. Increasingly, voters are realising that national politics are not needed in local government and that independent groups offer a great alternative to the poor performing Conservative councillors.
"Whenever RoW has elected councillors, we have made many big improvements by challenging the status quo and by putting the needs of Wilmslow and its residents first and foremost in our actions. Our only ideology is to do what is best for the town. This means ensuring we get investment into Wilmslow and its infrastructure to ensure it remains a great place to live, work and shop.
"With three councillors already, we are confident we can build on this number by giving Wilmslow's voters a highly credible alternative to our complacent Conservative councillors."
The RoW candidates, who have all lived in Wilmslow for a number of years, are:
Cheshire East Council
- Wilmslow Dean Row: Toni Fox, (the current ward Councillor)
- Wilmslow East: David Jefferay (a current Wilmslow Town Councillor)
- Wilmslow West & Chorley (a two seat ward) : Mark Goldsmith (a current Wilmslow Town Councillor) and Ian Macfarlane
Wilmslow Town Council
- Wilmslow Dean Row (a four seat ward) : Jon Newell
- Wilmslow East (a four seat ward): Jon Kelly (former Macclefield Borough councillor) & Lata Anderson
- Wilmslow West (a five seat ward) : Mark Goldsmith (a current Wilmslow Town Councillor)