Motorists travelling on the A34 through Cheadle can expect further delays as a one-way system will be in operation for six weeks.
From Tuesday, 29th August, a one-way system will be in introduced on the B5094 Stanley Road, Cheadle to enable improvements to be made at the junctions with the A34 and A555.
The works are required at these junctions in order to accommodate the predicted increase in traffic flows in this area following the introduction of the A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road (A6MARR).
The proposals also include enhanced facilities for pedestrians and cyclists, including cycle lanes and traffic light controlled crossing points.
As part of the next stage of works in the area, from 29th August for a period of six weeks, Stanley Road will operate as one-way (westbound) from the A34 roundabout to immediately east of the Earl Road junction. The diversion route will be via Stanley Road, Wilmslow Road, A555 and the A34.
During the one-way operation of Stanley Road:
• Two-way traffic will be maintained on Stanley Road from west of the Earl Road junction;
• The Earl Road/ Stanley Road junction will be open throughout the duration of the closure. It will be possible for vehicles to turn both left and right into Earl Road from Stanley Road, however, vehicles exiting Earl Road will be able to turn left only;
• A pedestrian route will be maintained through the one-way section of Stanley Road from the A34 to Earl Road;
• Access to residential properties located within the one-way section of Stanley Road will be maintained at all times.
The Handforth Dean Retail Park access, located under the A34 underpass, that is currently an entrance only will be opened to two-way traffic to provide an additional point of exit onto the A34 during the works. The location of this temporary exit is shown on the diversion route plan.
This traffic management arrangement is required to allow A6MARR works at the A34/ Stanley Road roundabout to progress as there is insufficient space available to carry out the works whilst still maintaining two-way traffic on Stanley Road.
The one-way operation of Stanley Road will be in place 24 hours a day because, due to the nature of the works, it is not possible to open up the road to two-way traffic outside of working hours.
When complete, the works will see the following upgrades made to the junction:
• additional traffic lanes will be provided on approaches to the junction;
• Traffic lights will be introduced on each arm of the junction to better manage the flow of traffic and provide controlled crossing points for pedestrians and cyclists;
• Controlled pedestrian and cycle crossing points will be provided on the A34 north and south arms of the junctions.
The plans of this junction that were submitted as part of the planning application for the A6MARR can be found on the planning application website.