Hockey: Wilmslow Men’s 1st team make it 9th straight win


Wilmslow Men's 1st team travelled to Oxton 2nd team this week again hoping to continue their 100% record. Historically a difficult place for Wilmslow to travel to, the team knew they would have a tough game on their hands.

A strong and solid start meant Wilmslow were able to get on the front foot from the off. Some tidy play in the Oxton D led to a Wilmslow penalty corner, which was expertly finished by Bastiaan Steffens to give them a 1-0 lead. The game became a cagey affair with both sides making errors although neither team were able to capitalise on these. The score remained until half time.

Wilmslow got the second half under way and again started to get a hold on the game limiting Oxton to very few chances while creating their own. An outstanding save prevented Paul Hallam from adding to the score line but it wasn't long until Wilmslow extended their lead. Bastiaan Steffens scoring his second of the game from another well worked penalty corner routine. Oxton started to put more pressure on the Wilmslow defence and were able to win a penalty corner themselves.

Some controversy led to the umpire sending two players to the half way line for breaking early in one penalty corner leaving only two defenders plus Adam Ford in goal to try and preserve their clean sheet. Some great saves and heroic defending meant Wilmslow defended three penalty corners without conceding. Pete Hallinan was able to put the icing on the cake and finish a good move neatly assisted by Andy Hunt. The score finished 3-0 making it 9 wins from 9. Another away game awaits the men as they travel to Windermere next Saturday hoping to continue this fantastic start to their season.

An excellent first half display from Wilmslow men's second team, which saw them rack up three unanswered goals, helped them see off a well-drilled Oxton side 4-2, and maintain their 100% record at home this season. The opener came from the unlikely source of centre back Iain Campbell, who knitted together a flowing passing move before applying the finish from close range. Wilmslow doubled their advantage when Sim Mellor made up for earlier misses with a well-disguised finish, before James Bell rounded off the scoring for the first half after a textbook short-corner routine.

Oxton came out firing in the second period and soon had the game back on a knife edge after two well-taken goals, but man of the match Pat Jupp rotated back into midfield along with Roger Eden and a combative James Bell, and Wilmslow steadied the ship, wrapping up all three points when Ric Pheiffer bundled a shot over the line late in the day. This win takes Wilmslow top of the league and, with another home match next week, they'll be hopeful of extending their advantage.

The ladies second team travelled to Whitchurch this weekend, in the hope to maintain their 100% record. The game got underway with Whitchurch coming out strong, and catching Wilmslow on the back foot as within the first five minutes they were able to score a goal. The ladies however, were not deterred and picked their heads up. The ladies soon began to dominate the pitch and the possession.

The ladies continually pressed throughout the game and were unlucky not to convert the chances they created, but the break soon came when Grace Kerner slotted one home to bring Wilmslow back into the game. Wilmslow didn't stop there and continued to press, with some superb passing in the midfield Rachel Payne had a chance to go for goal, and she didn't disappoint with a cracking goal, making it 2-1 to the visitors. The second half continued with Wilmslow dominating the possession, however despite a number of chances the girls were unable to convert.

The final minutes of the game came by with Wilmslow cramming the Whitchurch D, but with still little success. The final whistle went as a short corner was given so the ladies played it with the hope of a final goal, however some harsh tackles lead to two more penalty corners, yet the ladies were still unlucky to convert. Nonetheless, the ladies maintained their 100% record, with 10 wins from 10.

Elsewhere the ladies first team drew 0-0 with Urmston, whilst the ladies third team drew 4-4 with Bowden. The men's third team beat Triton 6-0, and the boys under 13's beat Bowdon 4-0, whilst the boys under 15's drew 2-2 with Northop Hall.

Match report by Amy Bracegirdle.

Hockey, Wilmslow Hockey Club